In South Africa, this veggie is known as Baby Marrow. Whatever you decide to call them these crispy zucchini fritters make a wonderful starter or side, and they’re a delicious way sneak in some veggies.
Author: Fazila Olla-Logday
Recipe type: Starter
Cuisine: South African
- 3 Cups Zucchini Coarsely Grated
- 1 Onion Finely Chopped
- ½ Cup Corn
- 2 Green Chillies Finely Chopped
- 1Tsp Garlic Paste
- 1 Large Egg
- ½ Cup Self Raising Flour
- ½ Cup Chickpea Flour
- Salt to Taste
- Oil for Frying
- Wash zucchini. With skins on, grate them with the coarse side of a grater. Put the grated zucchini in a colander and sprinkle liberally with salt. Let sit and drain for at least 30 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Remove the zucchini by the handful, squeezing to remove as much liquid as you can. Put it in a bowl with onion,corn, green chillies and garlic paste. Mix with a fork. Add the lightly beaten egg and stir. Add flour and chickpea flour. The mixture should be wet but not watery. Add salt to taste.
- Heat about ½cm of oil in a pan. Fritters should be shallow fried. When hot, scoop out a spoonful of the zucchini mixture and put it in the pan. Fry on medium heat for about 2-3 minutes or until brown and then turn. Cook for another 2-3 minutes on the other side until browned. Remove fritters and place on a paper towel -lined plate to remove some excess oil.
- Serve hot or cold with our sweet chilli sauce.