These Veggie Skewers are delicious braaied over the coals.
Author: Cooking from the Heart
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: South African
- 125 Gr Button Mushrooms, Halved
- 3 Baby Marrows, Thickly Sliced
- 200 Gr Baby Tomatoes
- 1 Green, Yellow or Red Pepper Seeded and Cut into Large Cubes
- 15 - 20 Bay or Fresh Lemon or Lime Leaves (Optional)
- 8 - 10 Metal Skewers or Wooden Kebab Sticks, Soaked in Water for 30 Minutes
- ¼ Cup (60 ml) Olive or Canola Oil
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) Lemon Juice
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) Finely Grated Lemon Rind
- 2 Tsp (10 ml) Each Chopped Fresh Thyme, Origanum and Parsley
- 1 Clove of Garlic
- Crushed Black Pepper to Taste
- Salt to Taste
- Place mushrooms in a shallow dish and cover with boiling water. Soak for 8 – 10 minutes to prevent the mushrooms from breaking apart when skewered. Drain well and pat dry.
- Thread mushrooms and veggies onto skewers or kebabs sticks, alternating the different veggies for a colourful end result. Add 1 - 2 bay, lemon or lime leaves in between veggies.
- Mix oil, lemon juice and rind, herbs and garlic together and season with pepper.
- Brush oil mixture onto skewers on all sides and marinate for 30 minutes. Season skewers with salt.
- Grill over medium to low coals or until the veggies are just cooked, but not too soft. Brush with more of the marinade, while braaiing, if necessary.
- Serve with a protein-rich vegetarian dish for a balanced meal.
- Add pineapple to the skewers for a sweet flavour – it is also delicious made with chicken.
- A pinch of cumin or paprika or a chopped chilli can be added to the oil mixture if preferred.
- For a different flavour add 1 tbsp (15 ml) finely grated fresh ginger or add 1 tsp (5 ml) mild mustard to the oil mixture.