All you need to make these delicious Tuna and Chillie Fish Cakes are pantry staple ingredients. It great served with tartar sauce and a salad as an appetiser or main meal. An easy super quick dinner idea with delicious results.
TUNA & CHILLI FISH CAKES
Author: Fazila Olla-Logday
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: South African
- 2 Medium Potatoes, Boiled and Mashed
- 1 Tbsp (30 ml) Butter
- 1 Small Onion, Finely Chopped
- 1-2 Garlic Cloves Finely Chopped
- 1 Tsp Finely Grated Ginger
- 2 x 170 g Tins tuna Well Drained
- 3 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1 Egg, Lightly Beaten
- 1-2 Green Chillies Finely Chopped
- Handful of Chives, Chopped
- 3 Tbsp Coriander Chopped
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper to Taste
- Flour for Dusting
- Oil For Frying
- Lemon Wedges
- Tartar Sauce
- Heat the butter in a large frying pan and sauté the onion with the garlic and ginger over a gentle heat until soft and translucent.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the tuna, cold mashed potato, fried onion, mayonnaise, egg, chopped green chillies and herbs until well combined. Season to taste.
- Shape into patties and coat them lightly in plain flour and chill in the fridge for approx 30 minutes.
- Heat enough oil for shallow frying in a medium-sized frying pan.
- Fry the fishcakes over moderate heat until golden on both sides.
- Place the fried fishcakes onto a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Serve with tartar sauce, lemon wedges and a green salad.