Scones have always been a favourite of mine. Especially with a cup of freshly brewed tea!
Here is the perfect savoury scone recipe that’s loaded with spinach and cheese. Definitely a great way to start the day!
SPINACH AND CHIVE SCONES
Author: Fazila Olla-Logday
Scones have always been a favourite of mine. Especially with a cup of freshly brewed tea! Here is the perfect savoury scone recipe that's loaded with spinach and cheese. Definitely a great way to start the day!
- 2 cups Cake flour
- 3 tbles Baking powder
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tbles sugar
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 60 gr Butter
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup Yoghurt
- 2 cups Spinach finely chopped
- 1 cup Mature cheddar cheese
- 2 tbles Chives chopped
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- In a mixing bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and garlic powder.
- Add the butter to the flour mixture and mix either in a food processor or with your fingertips until it forms the texture of coarse meal.
- In another bowl, combine eggs and yoghurt. Beat lightly with a fork until just combined. Add egg to the flour mixture together with the spinach, cheese and chives and mix gently until just incorporated.
- Lightly flour your hands, then gather the dough into a ball. Transfer the dough to a well-floured surface and pat the dough out into a large rectangle approximately 2cm thick.
- Use a small round biscuit cutter to cut out about 12-15 scones, reshaping the dough as needed and using scraps to form new rounds of dough. Place the scone cut-outs on the prepared baking sheet, leaving a little space in between each one for spreading. Brush each scone with a little beaten egg.
- Bake the scones for 15- 20 minutes, or until they are lightly golden brown.
Scones really are best served warm, straight-from-the-oven