Bobotie, is a South African dish (considered a national dish by many!) Consisting of spiced minced meat baked with an egg-based topping, this traditional bobotie recipe is sure to impress.
Plate up some magic with this delicious comforting South African dish with a wonderful mix of flavours, savoury and meaty, but with that touch of sweetness and spice. It’s no wonder it’s a South African favourite, and hopefully, it will soon be one of yours too. Serve with a delicious buttery sweet rice and veggies of your choice.
Once you’ve mastered a bobotie…you could always try SuzelleDIY’s ‘Bobotie in a Pumpkin’! (Watch the video beneath the recipe.)
Author: Fazila Olla-Logday
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: South African
- 1Kg Beef Mince
- 4 Tbles Butter
- 4 Tbles Oil
- 2 Large Onions Chopped
- 1 Cup Green Peppers Cubed
- 3 Tsps Ginger and Garlic Paste
- 2 Tbles Curry Powder
- 1 Tsp Turmeric
- 1 Tsp Red Chilli Paste
- 2 Tsps Mixed Spice
- 4 Tbles of Your Favourite Chutney
- Salt to Taste
- 2 Tbles Worcester Sauce
- 4 Slices White Bread Soaked and Mashed in 100 ml of Milk
For The Custard:
- 1 Cup Milk
- 2 Large Eggs
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- ⅛ Tsp Turmeric
- A Few Bay or Lemon Leaves
- 3 Tbles Slivered Almonds (Optional)
- Cook the onion in butter and oil until soft, then add garlic paste, bay leaves, spices and chutney.
- Add Worcester sauce and salt.
- Add the ground meat and cook until most of the pink is gone.
- Squeeze excess milk from the bread and add the bread to the meat mixture. Stir to combine.
- Remove from the stove and spoon mixture into a rectangular baking dish.
- Mix the beaten eggs with the reserved milk and add the salt and a pinch of turmeric. Pour over meat mixture and put a few bay leaves on top.
- Stand the baking dish in a larger pan of boiling water (this is important to prevent drying out) and bake, uncovered, at 180°C for 40 -45 minutes or golden brown and set.
Bobotie can be served with savoury rice and veg.
#TopTip from Elaine Lancaster - I like to put coconut and banana on top of mine
SuzelleDIY – How to Make Bobotie in a Pumpkin
For those who would like to be a little more adventurous…or just have a laugh, watch this…She’s brilliant, she’s South African…and she’s addictive!