Bobotie, is a South African dish (considered a national dish by many!) consisting of spiced minced meat baked with an egg-based topping. This traditional bobotie recipe is sure to impress. Serve with savoury rice and veggies.
Once you’ve mastered a bobotie…you could always try SuzelleDIY’s ‘Bobotie in a Pumpkin’! (Watch the video beneath the recipe.)
Author: Fazila Olla-Logday
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: South African
Bobotie, is a South African dish consisting of spiced minced meat baked with an egg-based topping. It is an all-time South African favourite.
- 500 gr beef mince
- 2 tbles butter
- 2 tbles oil
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 tsps garlic paste
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tbles curry powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbles of your favourite chutney
- Salt to taste
- Juice of one lemon
- 4 slices bread soaked in milk
- 5 eggs (beaten)
- Cook the onion in butter and oil until soft, then add garlic paste, bay leaves, spices and chutney.
- Once onions are soft and transparent add to mince and mix thoroughly.
- Add salt and lemon juice.
- Add squeezed out bread and mix well.
- Spoon mixture into a pyrex dish.
- Bake uncovered for about 30 mins on 180°C.
- Remove from oven and pour over beaten eggs.
- And bake for a further 10 mins.
Bobotie can be served with savoury rice and veg.
#TopTip from Elaine Lancaster - I like to put coconut and banana on top of mine
SuzelleDIY – How to Make Bobotie in a Pumpkin
For those who would like to be a little more adventurous…or just have a laugh, watch this…She’s brilliant, she’s South African…and she’s addictive!