A sweet finale is the ultimate end to a delicious dinner and Sago pudding is one of those comfort desserts. This warm winter pudding is a firm South African favourite.
So rich and creamy it is one of my favourite go-to desserts. It is a delicious end to any meal, not too sweet but perfectly creamy. Enjoy!
- 4 cups Milk
- ¾ cup Sago (which has been soaked in water for at least an hour )
- 2 Whole Cinnamon Sticks
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cardamom
- Finely Grated Rind of One Lemon
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 100 gr Butter
- 1 tablespoon Custard Powder (mixed with a ¼ cup of cream)
- 4 X-Large Eggs (lightly beaten)
- Cinnamon Sugar
- Preheat the oven at 160° Celsius.
- Grease a large ovenproof dish
- Over medium heat boil milk, sago, cinnamon sticks,cardamom powder and lemon rind until thick.
- Add the sugar and butter and stir in well. Simmer for a few more minutes until the sugar is completely dissolved, then remove from the heat.
- Add the custard powder mix to the milk mixture.
- Add the lightly beaten eggs and mix through thoroughly until well combined.
- Remove the cinnamon sticks and pour the mixture into the oven proof dish and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 40 – 45 minutes, until set and the pudding is light brown on top.