This fruit cake combines Rooibos tea with a fruit cake mix to make a seriously delicious cake.
Perfect for Christmas or any memorable occasion!
ROOIBOS INFUSED FRUIT CAKE
Author: Fazila Olla-Logday
Recipe type: Baking
Cuisine: South African
- 3 Rooibos tea bags
- 375 ml boiling water
- 375g (3cups) fruit cake mix
- 100gr glaced cherries
- 125g butter
- 225gr sugar (11/4cups)
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 250gr (2 cups) self raising flour
- 2 eggs slightly beaten
- 100gr chopped walnuts or pecan nuts
- Put the tea bags in a pot and pour the boiling water over them.
- Leave for a good 10 mins to infuse.
- Squeeze them out and throw them away, then mix the fruit into the tea.
- Boil together with the butter and sugar for approx 15 mins.
- Once boiled stir in bicarbonate of soda and set aside to allow to cool.
- Set the oven to 170°C
- Once the mixture has cooled add the flour, beaten eggs and nuts and mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into a 22 cm round greased lined tin and level the top.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until risen and firm to the touch.
- Cool in the tin for 10 mins, then turn out to cool on a wire rack.
- Wrap in greaseproof paper and keep for 2 days before slicing (if you can resist it!), as this improves the flavour.
Tip: Cover the cake with tin foil if necessary towards the end of the baking time if you feel it's getting too brown.