Add a little warmth to these cold nights by making this roasted aubergine and red lentil dhal. With its fragrant sauce, it makes a tasty and delicious vegan curry. It’s quick and easy to make and tastes even better the next day when the flavours have had a chance to develop.
ROASTED AUBERGINE AND RED LENTIL DHAL
Author: Fazila Olla-Logday
- 2 Medium Aubergines Cubed
- 2 Tbles Olive Oil
- ½ Tsp Chilli Powder
- Salt to Taste
- For the Dhal…
- 2 Tbles Oil
- 1 Onion Sliced
- 1 Tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tsp Garlic Paste
- 1 Tsp Tumeric
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala
- ½ Tsp Chilli Flakes
- 1 Cup Dried Red Lentils (Rinsed)
- ½ Cup Crushed Tomatoes
- Approx 2 Cups of Water
- Fresh Coriander Chopped
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- Mix the cubed aubergines, with olive oil, chilli and salt and place in a single layer on a large non-stick baking sheet.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes or until lightly roasted.
- Meanwhile, place the onions, cumin seeds and oil in a saucepan and cook the onions over medium heat until soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic paste, turmeric, garam masala and chilli flakes and cook over a gentle heat for about 1minute, stirring occasionally. If the pan gets too dry add a splash of water.
- Add the crushed tomatoes and mix well, then add the lentils and simmer for a few minutes adding a bit of water at a time. You want a nice thick sauce, so start with ½ cup of water at a time.
- Lower the heat and cook for 30 minutes (with the lid on). Check on the dhal occasionally and add extra water if necessary.
- When the dhal is cooked, stir in the fresh coriander and roasted aubergine – saving a few pieces for garnish.
Serve with brown basmati rice and your favourite pickles.
Cook until the lentils are just soft to the touch otherwise your dhal will turn to mush!