Dark and decadent red velvet cupcakes are amazing for any celebration! What better way to say ‘I care’ than with a moist, decadent red velvet cupcake covered with lovely swirls of creamy icing. Whip up a batch today and surprise someone special!
RED VELVET CUPCAKES
Author: Fazila Olla-Logday
Recipe type: Dessert
Dark and decadent red velvet cupcakes are amazing for any celebration! What better way to say 'I care' than with a moist, decadent red velvet cupcake covered with lovely swirls of creamy icing. Whip up a batch today and surprise someone special!
- 2½ cups flour (sifted twice)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbles cocoa powder
- 60 ml red food colouring
- ½ cup soft butter (120gr)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs (make sure they are at room temperature)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 115g (1/2 tub)softened cream cheese
- 70 gr softened butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups icing sugar (sifted)
- 1 pinch of salt
- Heat oven to 180⁰C.
- Place paper cupcake holders into muffin tray.
- Combine the sifted flour, the baking powder and the salt.
- In a separate bowl mix together the red food colouring and the cocoa powder until they are very well combined to form a liquid-like paste . It is very important that there are no lumps.
- In another bowl cream together the butter and the sugar. Beat for approximately 4 minutes.
- Add the eggs individually. Beat for one minute after each addition.
- Add the vanilla extract and the red-cocoa paste.
- Ensure that all the ingredients are well combined.
- Add one third of the flour mixture into the creamed butter, sugar, egg and vanilla mixture and beat until well combined, then add half the buttermilk.
- Continue adding the flour mixture and buttermilk alternately until all the ingredients are perfectly combined.
- In a small bowl, mix together the white vinegar and bicarbonate of soda. It will begin to fizz, but wait until the fizzing stops and add this to the mixture.
- Fold the mixture to ensure that all ingredients are combined.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcake holders until they are three quarters full.
- Place in the oven and bake for approximately 20 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes and then remove cupcakes from the pan and place them on a cooling rack to cool completely before icing.
- Mix the cream cheese and the butter together until well combined and smooth.
- Using a low speed, mix the icing sugar, salt and vanilla extract into the cream cheese mixture.
- Beat until light and fluffy.