Quinoa is a protein-packed grain, which makes a great vegetarian main. This delicious salad is simple and fresh and just perfect for the warmer or cooler months and leftovers can be served warm or cold.
QUINOA SALAD WITH ROASTED VEGETABLES
Author: Fazila Olla-Logday
Recipe type: Appetizer
Cuisine: South African
- 3 Cups Quinoa Cooked
- 500Gr Butternut Cubed
- 6 Garlic Cloves Unpeeled
- 2 Large Red Onions (Cut into Wedges)
- 200 Gr Punnet Baby Rosa Tomatoes Halved
- 4 Tbles Olive Oil Divided
- Salt to Taste
- Lots of Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- ⅓ Cup White Balsamic Vinegar
- Handful Chopped Fresh Basil Leaves
- Handful Chopped Fresh Mint Leaves
- 40Gr Pkt Pine Nuts, Toasted
- Crumbled Feta to Garnish
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Season the butternut and with salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil and place the butternut and the garlic on a large baking tray which has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Roast until the butternut is soft and beginning to brown, about 25 to 30 minutes. Stir through the rosa tomatoes and roast for another 5-10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Cook the quinoa, as per the instructions on the packet. Drain really well and set aside.
- To toast the pine nuts, roast them in a small dry pan over medium heat, stirring frequently, until they turn lightly golden, about 5 to 10 minutes. Be sure to watch that it does not burn. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, squeeze the roasted garlic cloves out of their skins and mash with some seasoning and whisk together with the balsamic vinegar. Slowly pour in the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil while whisking constantly to emulsify the mixture.
- Add the quinoa, basil, mint, roasted vegetables and gently stir to combine. Check the seasoning. Garnish with pine nuts and crumbled feta.
- Serve at room temperature.