Pumpkin fritters – or Pampoen koekies in Afrikaans – are delicious for breakfast or dessert and it’s so quick and easy to make!
- 2 cups cooked mashed pumpkin
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup Self Raising flour
- 2 tsps baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tbles brown sugar
- Oil for frying
- 50g castor sugar
- 2tsp ground cinnamon
- Drain the cooked pumpkin well.
- Add the beaten egg and vanilla extract and mix.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix to a soft but firm batter.
- Place a spoonful of the mixture into hot oil.
- Fry on one side until golden brown and turn to cook on the other side.
- Remove with slotted spoon and drain on absorbent paper.
- In small bowl, combine castor sugar with cinnamon and sprinkle over hot fritters before serving.