Peppermint Crisp Tart is a South African classic that just oozes nostalgia with every bite! What makes this dessert so special has to be the mixed flavours of coconut, peppermint, caramel, and chocolate. It is also quick and easy to make and a real crowd-pleaser.
It is a decadent, sweet, creamy dessert, made by mixing whipped cream and caramelised condensed milk with grated peppermint crisp chocolate and layering between crispy coconut flavoured biscuits.
Another plus about making this dessert is that you can make it ahead of time and refrigerate it.
There are two options to this dessert, the individual servings or one big tart! Both work beautifully, but individual portions are great when you’re having guests over.
Ingredients to a Make Peppermint Crisp Tart
Biscuits – Bakers Tennis Biscuits or substitute with Nice biscuits if you’re in the UK or any coconut biscuit. Biscoff biscuits are also delicious.
- Cream – it has to be double cream or whipping cream so that it will thicken when you beat it.
- Caramel – you need the tin that is pre-caramelised.
- Peppermint Essence – is optional for an extra minty taste
- Peppermint Crisp Chocolate – Use Aero Peppermint Chocolate if you’re in the UK
How to make the Peppermint Tart
- Please read the recipe for the complete instructions.
- Biscuits must be processed into crumbs.
- Spoon some of the tennis biscuit crumbs into the bottom of your glasses.
- The fresh cream has to be whipped into stiff peaks.
- Fold the caramel into the whipped cream.
- Chop the chocolate into little pieces.
- Assemble as per recipe instructions before refrigerating for a few hours before serving.
PEPPERMINT CRISP TART
Author: Fazila Olla-Logday
Recipe type: Dessert
Cuisine: South African
- 1 Pkt of Tennis Biscuits
- 2 x 250 ml Fresh Cream
- 375Gr Tin of Caramelised Condensed Milk
- 3-4 Drops of Peppermint Essence (Optional)
- 180 Gr Peppermint Crisp Chocolate Bar, Crushed
- Blitz the biscuits in a food processor.
- Whip the cream and stir in the caramel.
- Stir in the peppermint essence to the caramel cream mixture.
- Stir ⅔ of the crushed peppermint crisps into the cream mixture.
- Spoon some of the tennis biscuit crumbs into the bottom of about 8 -12 small glasses depending on the size. Smooth out the surface. Sprinkle some of the leftover peppermint crisp chunks on top of the biscuit base and layer some of the caramel cream mixtures on top. Smooth it out, and repeat with another biscuit layer and a final caramel cream layer.
- Finish off with a sprinkling of peppermint crisp pieces.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours until the cream is firm.