Enjoy the flavours of Morocco with this spicy and aromatic chicken dish…a simple yet impressive dinner that will become a new family favourite!
Delicious chicken smothered with spices and roasted on top of vegetables, chickpeas and brown basmati rice. Oh so yummy!
MOROCCAN BAKED CHICKEN CASSEROLE
Author: Fazila Olla-Logday
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: Middle Eastern
Enjoy the flavours of Morocco with this spicy and aromatic chicken dish...a simple yet impressive dinner that will become a new family favourite! Delicious chicken smothered with spices and roasted on top of vegetables, chickpeas and brown basmati rice. Oh so yummy!
- 1 Whole Chicken, jointed into 8 pieces (or you could use a pack of 8 drumsticks and thighs)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground Black Pepper
- 2 tsp. Smoked Paprika
- 2 tsp Garlic paste
- 2 Large Carrots (sliced in batons)
- 2 Large Mixed Colour Peppers (cubed)
- 2 large Onions (quartered)
- 4 Cloves Garlic sliced
- 4 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Green Chillies (sliced and deseeded)
- ½ cup Fresh Chopped Coriander
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- 400gr can Chickpeas
- 1cup Brown Basmati Rice
- ½ level teas crushed saffron mixed with the juice of one small lemon
- 11/2 cups (375ml) Chicken Stock
- 50gr Green Olives
- 1 Lemon sliced
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Prepare the chicken by seasoning the joints with salt and pepper, paprika and garlic paste.
- Heat half of the olive oil in a casserole and, when it's really hot, brown the chicken pieces on all sides – don't overcrowd the pan; it's best to do it in 2 batches.
- After that, remove the chicken and add the rest of the olive oil. When the oil is really hot, add the carrot batons, peppers, onions and cook them in the hot oil,– this should take about 5 minutes – then turn the heat down.
- Add the fresh coriander along with the sliced garlic, spices, chickpeas and the rice, then give everything a good stir to distribute all the ingredients.
- Season well with more salt and pepper if needed, then add the lemon and saffron mixture with the stock pour it all into the casserole and stir well.
- Cut the remaining lemon into thin slices and push these well into the liquid.
- Place the pieces of chicken on top and scatter the olives over the chicken.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid and place in the pre-heated oven for 1 hour or until the rice and chickpeas are tender.
If you feel the need for a bit more heat, add 1 tsp. of crush red chillies when adding the rest of the spices.