There’s something so warm and comforting about eating a hearty Meatball Sub covered in rich tomato sauce and dripping with melted cheese.
When it comes to quick and easy but delicious dinnertime meals, these classic Meatball Subs are a definite family favourite.
In this classic Meatball Sub, tender meatballs drenched in tomato sauce are tucked into crisp rolls then buried under a blanket of gooey cheese.
It’s a messy sandwich no matter how you build it so the best way to avoid soggy sandwiches is to build your sub on lightly toasted bread. First, hollow out the rolls a bit so the meatballs have a place to sit then start adding your toppings.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE MEATBALLS
To make homemade meatballs, first, you need to preheat oven to 180°c. You can cook meatballs in a pan on the stove, but baking them is easier and less messy! Next, you’ll mix all of the meatball ingredients together, by hand. You can use a rubber spatula if you’d like, but just make sure you thoroughly mix the ingredients. Scoop golf ball-sized meatballs out using a small cookie scoop. and place on a foil-lined baking pan, approximately one inch apart. You’ll be able to make 12 -15 meatballs with this recipe. Bake for 10-15 minutes.
HOW TO MAKE MEATBALL SUBS
While the meatballs are in the oven, warm up the marinara sauce on the stove over medium heat. You’ll need 4 hotdog rolls to make this meatball recipe. Place 1 slice of mozzarella cheese cut in half on the bottom of each roll, then place 3 baked meatballs on top of the cheese. Top each sandwich with the warm marinara sauce and sprinkle mozzarella cheese and fresh basil on top, if desired. Serve immediately.
- 4 Soft Hot Dog Rolls (Split Lengthwise But Still Attached On One Side
- 500 Gr Beef Mince
- ½ Cup Breadcrumbs
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped Flat Leaf Parsley
- ¼ Cup Grated Parmesan
- ½ Onion Finely Chopped
- 1 Tsp Garlic Paste
- 2 Tsps Worcester Sauce
- 1 Egg
- Salt and Black Pepper
- 2 Cups Ready Made Marinara Sauce or Homemade
- 4 Slices Mozzarella
- 2 Tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 Cloves Garlic, Crushed
- ½- 1 Teaspoon Red Chilli Flakes
- 2 Tbles Flat-Leaf Parsley, Chopped
- ½ Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 400 Gr Can Crushed Tomatoes
- Salt And Freshly Ground Black Pepper to Taste
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil, for Greasing
- 4 medium potatoes washed and cut into 8 wedges lengthwise
- Paprika and Salt to Taste
- Olive Oil
- Remove the soft centre out of each roll and place it in a food processor.
- Using a fork, remove some of the interior of the rolls until you get about ½ cup bread crumbs and place in a food processor.
- Add the mince, parsley, parmesan, onion, garlic and Worcestershire sauce. Pulse to combine, and season, then add the egg. Pulse until the mixture just comes together.
- Using damp hands, form mixture into 12 balls and place on a lined baking tray. Chill for 10 - 15 minutes to firm up.
- At this stage, you fry the meatballs or it can be air fried at 200°C for 5 to 7 minutes. No preheating is required.
- If you are frying the meatballs heat some olive oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the meatballs and cook, turning, for 6-8 minutes until golden and cooked through. Add the marinara sauce and bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low and cook for a further 6-8 minutes until the sauce has thickened and reduced.
- Place the rolls on a baking sheet, cut-side up, and grill until lightly golden, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Place 1 slice of mozzarella cheese cut in half on the bottom of each roll.
- Place 3 baked meatballs together with some sauce on top of the cheese.
- Grill until the mozzarella is just melted and browned in spots, 1 to 2 minutes. Top with basil leaves and black pepper if desired.
- Drizzle potatoes with a bit of olive oil. Toss potatoes with paprika and salt and air-fry on 200°C for 10 -15 mins or place potatoes on a non-stick baking sheet which has been sprayed with cooking spray and bake for 30 minutes or until just tender.
- Serve immediately with Spicy Potato Wedges.