A delicious easy recipe made with Mielie Meal and Sweetcorn, which are typically South African ingredients and so delicious served at a Braai.
Author: Cooking from the Heart
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: South African
- 3 Cups Coarse Mealie Meal
- 2 Cups Water
- 1½ Cups Low-Fat Milk
- Salt to Taste
- ¼ Cup Olive or Canola Oil
- 1 x 410 Gr Tin Cream Style Sweetcorn
- 1 Small Onion, Cut into Thin Wedges
- 3 Tbsp Fresh Parsley Chopped
- ¼ Cup Cheddar Cheese Coarsely Grated
- Corn Kernels cut from One Cob or ½ Cup Frozen Whole Kernel Corn, Rinsed
- Preheat oven to 180 °C.
- Place the mealie meal, water, milk, salt, oil and sweetcorn in a large mixing bowl. Stir well so that no dry meal is visible.
- Lightly grease a 20 x 27 cm ovenproof dish with oil and spoon mealie meal mixture into dish.
- Arrange onion wedges on mealie meal. Mix parsley, cheese and corn and sprinkle evenly over onions
- Bake for 1 hour or until the mealie meal is cooked through.
- Serve hot.
- Bake the mealie meal mixture without the onion and cheese mixture until cooked. Mix 1 x 410 g tin onion and tomato mix with the parsley and onion wedges. Spoon onto cooked mealie meal bake, sprinkle with cheese and corn and bake for another 10 - 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted and the tomato layer is heated through.
- Serve immediately.