Few nations can claim to do romance quite like the French, and Grace’s Madeleines are the perfect vintage dessert to add a touch of French flair to your Valentine’s day. And if you are like Grace and have a tradition of hiding a small treat in your children’s lunch box on Valentines, they make the perfect stowaway.
Author: Grace Stevens
Recipe type: South African
- 2 Eggs (100g)
- 100 Gr Caster Sugar
- 100 Gr Flour (Extra For Dusting Tin)
- 40 ml Lemon Juice
- Zest Of One Lemon
- 3 ml Baking Powder
- 100 Gr Melted Butter (Cooled Slightly)
- Grease a Madeleine tray and dust with flour. Tap off excess flour and set aside. You may freeze the tray for a larger 'pearl'
- Whisk eggs and sugar until light and airy.
- Fold in remaining ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for 60 minutes or overnight. 60 Minutes
- Preheat oven to 200C. Fill each shell three-quarters of the way with cool batter.
- Bake for 5 to 8 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. There should be a small rise in the centre. This is called the "pearl" 8 Minutes
- Allow to cool slightly before removing from the tray and dusting with icing sugar.
- Best enjoyed fresh out the oven within the hour.