This simple easy recipe for berry jam uses just 4 ingredients and contains just enough sugar to preserve the jam. The result is a healthier treat that boasts the full natural flavour and vibrant colour of the fruit. A delicious Homemade Berry Jam which is low in carbs but still so delicious. Served with our delicious low carb bread, it makes an awesome treat.
- 1 kg Berries of Choice (Cleaned and Hulled)
- 200gr Xylitol
- 50 gr Sugar
- Juice of 1 Orange
- Sterilise a couple of jam jars whilst you make your jam.
- Wash the jars and lids in warm soapy water and rinse thoroughly. Do not dry.
- Place the clean jars and their lids leave the jars to cool in the oven, until ready to use.
- Weigh the berries after they have been hulled to make sure you have exactly 1 kg of berries.
- Place all the ingredients into a large, heavy-based saucepan and gently heat, stirring until the sugar and xylitol have completely dissolved.
- Bring the mixture to a boil stirring frequently, breaking down the strawberries with the back of a spoon. Stir the strawberries over low - medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring the jam to a boil.
- Cook the berries until the mix thickens and bubbles (approx 40-45 minutes) Make sure not to leave the jam unattended as the sugar can burn very quickly.
- Stir frequently to prevent the jam from burning.
- Remove from the heat, let it cool slightly and carefully pour into the sterilised jars straight away, close tightly and refrigerate.
Push your finger through the jam on the plate – you’re looking for it to wrinkle and not flood back in to fill the gap.
If it’s not ready, turn the pan back on, simmer for five minutes and test again.