If you need a low carb breakfast on the go, these delicious cheesy Sausage Pizza Egg Muffins are so easy to make and can be, ready in 30 minutes. make a delicious savoury low carb treat for breakfast, brunch, or snack that’s so easy to make ahead of time!
Sometimes you just need a simple, quick and nutritious breakfast you can grab and go! You’ll be getting plenty of protein and high quality, healthy fats with each one of these low carb sausage egg muffins. These muffins are also filling and nutritious as lunch box fillers.
Eggs are a great all-rounder when it comes to nutrition. They are a great source of protein, omegas and vitamins A, E, B12 and folate to name just a few of the many different nutrient properties of golden eggs.
- 1 Tbles Coconut Oil
- 400 Gr Sausage (Casings Removed)
- 1 Tsp Garlic Paste
- ½-1 Tsp Chilli Flakes
- ½ Onion Finely Chopped
- ½ Cup Chopped Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- 2 Green Chillies Finely Sliced (Optional)
- A handful of Chopped Baby Spinach or Basil
- 8 Eggs
- Salt to Taste
- 1 Cup Grated Mozzarella Cheese
- ⅓ Cup Grated Parmesan
- Preheat your oven to 180°C and grease 2 muffins tins well with cooking spray.
- Heat a pan over medium heat and add coconut oil. Add the sausage, garlic and chill flakes and break up lumps of sausage with a wooden spoon.
- Continue to cook and stir. Once the sausage is lightly golden, add the chopped onion, sundried tomatoes and green chillies if using and stir into the mixture. Cook another minute, then remove from heat and set aside.
- Stir through the baby spinach or basil
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, and salt. (Go easy on the salt as the sausage mixture also contains salt)
- Add the mozzarella and parmesan cheese and mix well.
- Then, pour the entire sausage mixture into the eggs and combine.
- Fill muffin cups ¾ of the way to the top until the mixture is used up (I made 18 fairly large muffins) and bake in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes, or until the eggs are set and the muffins just begin to brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool a few minutes before serving. If making ahead, you can refrigerate them in a sealed container for up to 5 days. Enjoy!
Preparing the pans for the egg muffins is so important! If using a muffin tin, make sure to grease each muffin cup well. Eggs are notorious for sticking and cleaning the pan will not be fun! To stay safe use muffin liners or a silicone muffin pan.