Spiced with cardamom this low carb sugar free version is a treat any time of the year.
Coconut & Cardamom Ice-Cream
Author: Fazila Olla-Logday
Recipe type: Dessert
Cuisine: Low Carb
- 1 400gr tin coconut cream
- 250ml (1 cup) fresh cream
- 1 tsp fine cardamom
- 3 large egg yolks
- 100gr (1/2) cup xylitol or sweetner of your choice
- 6 tbles toasted desiccated coconut
- ½ tsp xantum gum
Toasted shavings of coconut for decorating
- Pour the coconut cream, fresh cream and cardamom into a medium-sized saucepan and heat over a low heat.
- Mix xylitol and egg yolks in a bowl together until light and creamy.
- Remove cream mixture from the heat and stir in the egg mixture.
- Stir over low heat for about 8-10 mins until the mixture forms a thin custard.
- Transfer the ice cream mixture to a container and leave to cool.
- Once cool,place in the freezer.
- After about 3-4 hours, remove the mixture from the freezer, and using a sturdy spoon break up any clumps that are starting to form until the mixture is smooth again. This helps break up the ice crystals, to help prevent your ice cream from becoming too icy in texture.
- If you really want to make sure the ice cream is creamy, once it's completely frozen, scoop the mixture into a food processor and process until it's the texture of soft serve ice cream.
- Stir in the toasted coconut and xantum gum at this stage and process once more until just mixed through.
- Transfer to a resealable container and freeze until completely frozen.
- Serve with fresh fruit and shavings of toasted coconut flakes.
How to Toast Coconut
Preheat oven to 180°C.
Spread the coconut on a baking sheet in a thin layer and bake in preheated oven.
It will toast very quickly and won't take more than 5-10 minutes.
Homemade ice cream will be very hard once completely frozen so for easier scooping, let the ice cream sit for about 5 - 10 minutes on the counter before scooping out.
Please follow and like us: