Everyone loves a good lasagna, right? It’s a great way to feed a crowd and if you are lucky to have any leftovers it freezes so well! Layered with a rich marinara sauce and a creamy parmesan white sauce it’s sure to become a family favourite.
Author: Fazila Olla-Logday
- 3 Tbles Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, Finely Chopped
- 1 Carrot, Finely Diced
- 2 Tsps Ginger and Garlic Paste
- 750 Gr Beef Mince
- 2 Cups Passata
- 2 50 Gr Pkts Tomato Paste
- 2 Beef or Vegetable Stock Cubes, Crushed
- 1 Tsp Italian Dried Herbs
- 2 Tsp Sugar
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper to taste
- 100 Gr (7 Tbles) Butter
- 6 Tbles Flour
- 3½ Cups Hot Milk
- 1 Cup Fresh Shredded Parmesan
- 375 Gr Pre Cooked Lasagna Sheets
- 300 Gr Mozzarella Cheese Grated
- 2 Tbles Finely Chopped Fresh Italian Parsley
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat, then add in the onion and carrots and cook for 8-10 minutes, or until softened. Add in the garlic and ginger paste and beef mince breaking it up with the end of your spoon, until browned.
- Pour in the Passata, tomato paste, crushed stock cubes and dried herbs, sugar.
- Check the seasoning and add the salt and pepper if needed.
- Mix well to combine and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Cover and cook for about 20-30 minutes, occasionally mixing, until the sauce has thickened slightly and meat is tender.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Remove from the stove and add the flour and stir for about 30 seconds, or until well blended.
- Place pot back onto the stove, reduce heat down to low and slowly stir in the hot milk until well combined and free from any lumps.
- If the sauce appears too thick, add a little more milk until it turns into a slightly thick and creamy consistency.
- Increase heat to medium and continue cooking sauce while stirring occasionally until it thickens (about 5-7 minutes) and coats the back of your wooden spoon.
- Add in the parmesan cheese and remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper and mix until the cheese is melted through.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Spoon about 1 cup of meat sauce on the base of a medium-sized rectangular baking dish, then cover with lasagna sheets. (Trim sheets to fit over the meat if needed.) Layer with 2 cups of meat sauce (or enough to cover pasta), 1 cup of white sauce and some mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers (leaving the remaining cheese for the top).
- Pour the remaining meat sauce and white sauce over the last layer of lasagna sheets and top with the remaining mozzarella cheese. Bake for 25 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
- Garnish with parsley and let stand for about 10 minutes before slicing and serving.