Hummus makes a delicious healthy snack that’s made with a few ingredients and perfect for parties. This recipe is smooth, flavourful and delicious and tastes better than anything store-bought.
Author: Fazila Olla-Logday
Recipe type: Appetizer
- 1 400 Gr Can Chickpeas
- 1 Tsp Bicarbonate of Soda (For Soaking the Chickpeas)
- ¼ Cup Lemon Juice (Freshly Squeezed)
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- ½ Tsp Salt
- ¼ Cup Tahini
- 2 Tbles Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ Tsp Chilli Powder
- 2 - 4 Tbles Ice Water
- Sumac or Paprika for Decorating
- Soak the chickpeas, and bicarbonate of soda in a bowl of warm water for about 5-10 minutes and rub them together to peel off the skins.
- In a food processor, combine the lemon juice, garlic and salt. Process until the garlic is very finely chopped, then let the mixture rest for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tahini and half of the ice water to the food processor and blend until the mixture is thick and creamy.
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas and transfer them to a food processor together with the olive oil, and chilli powder and blend for at least 5 minutes until smooth and creamy.
- Add the rest of the ice water if your mixture is still too thick.
- Taste and adjust as needed by adding more lemon juice or salt.
- Spoon the hummus onto a plate or bowl, and spread the hummus with the back of a spoon to create swirls.
- Sprinkle with sumac or paprika.
Serve cold or at room temperature with crudités and pita bread.
By peeling the skins off the chickpeas, you will get the smoothest texture ever. For the best flavour make sure to always use freshly squeezed lemon juice.