Harissa is a North African sauce that originated in Tunisia. It’s made from chillis and a variety of earthy spices giving it a fiery and extremely flavoursome taste.
This traybake is packed with flavour, colour and texture thanks to a range of vegetables, viz: pepper, onion and cauliflower. The flavour comes from the harissa paste which is a wonderful ingredient to have in the fridge. Harissa paste varies in heat and spice, so adjust the quantities as needed to your taste. Pop the dish into the oven and halfway through the cooking time add in the drained chickpeas which add more fibre as well as plant-based protein.
A vibrant, healthy and wholesome easy one-pan dinner that has so much flavour and texture with minimal effort.
Ingredients for the Marinade
Sweet Or Smoked Paprika
Tomato Paste (Note: In South Africa, it’s sold in sachets. Everywhere else it’s that thick tomato substance often sold in tubes that you want!)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Use A Good Quality Oil
For the Traybake
Chicken Drumsticks or Thighs– bone-in and skin-on or off. We prefer skinless chicken
Red Pepper– Deseeded and Cut into Large Cubes
Red Onions – Ends and Skin Removed and Cut into Quarters
Medium Sized Cauliflower Chopped into Florets
Garlic Cloves Halved
- 8 Skinless Chicken Thighs Or Drumsticks
- 1 Large Red Pepper Cubed
- 2 Red Onions, Quartered
- 1 Medium Sized Cauliflower, Chopped Into Florets
- 4 Garlic Cloves Halved
- 1 400Gr Tin Chickpeas, Drained
- 4 Tbsp Harissa Paste
- 2 Tsps Garlic Paste
- 2 Tsps Paprika Sweet or Smoked
- 1 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 Tsp Ground Coriander
- 2 Tbles Tomato Paste
- 3 Tbles Lemon Juice
- Salt to Taste
- ¼ Cup Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 180*C.
- Score deep lines all over the chicken legs, then rub in ¾ of the marinade mix.
- Roast the chicken for about 30 minutes on a large baking tray.
- In the meantime toss together the red pepper, red onion, cauliflower and chickpeas with the rest of the marinade mix before adding the marinated veggies.
- After 30 minutes carefully remove the chicken from the oven and arrange the veggies carefully over and between the chicken.
- Nestle the garlic cloves between the veggies and roast for another 30 mins.
- Remove from the oven and give everything a good toss and serve hot with this delicious turmeric garlic rice.