What could be more comforting than delicious garlicky rice spiced with turmeric and fortified with a delicious array of colourful vegetables? Fragranced with butter, turmeric, garlic, and onion, this incredibly flavourful rice comes together in just 20 minutes on the stovetop. It can be a complete meal on its own or served with chicken, meat or fish.
Ingredients in Garlic Turmeric Rice
Rice – I used brown basmati rice which was cooked with some salt and a half teaspoon of turmeric powder. You could also use leftover white rice and add a half teaspoon of turmeric powder when adding the rice to the veggies.
Butter –This is what we’re going to saute our veggies in as it adds such a great flavour. If you’re worried about the butter burning feel free to add a bit of olive oil or you can also use coconut oil for a healthier alternative.
Veggies –Onion finely diced as well as some, broccolini, red peppers and corn. Canned or frozen will do.
Garlic – Use as much or little as you like, but more is definitely better.
Crushed Red Chilli Flakes – For a bit of heat.
Lemon or Lime Juice – Added at the end just adds a delicious flavour to the rice.
- 3 Tbles Butter
- 5 Fat Cloves of Garlic
- ½ Large Onion Finely Chopped
- 1 Tsp Crushed Red Chilli Flakes
- 125Gr Broccolini Chopped
- 1 Small Red Pepper Cubed
- ½ Cup Corn
- 2 Cups Basmati Rice (Cooked)
- Salt to Taste
- 1 Tbles Lemon or Lime Juice
- Finely chop the garlic, onion, broccolini, and red bell pepper
- Heat up a nonstick pan to medium-low heat and add the oil.
- Cook the garlic and onions on medium heat for about 5 minutes ensuring that it stays soft and translucent. Add the crushed red chilli flakes, the broccolini, the red pepper and the corn and sauté for a couple of minutes. Add the basmati rice and the salt. Saute for about 5 minutes then add the lemon juice and stir through. Serve hot with an extra sprinkle of red chilli flakes.