Known in some countries as pancakes, or crumpets, here in South Africa we call these little light and airy pillows, flapjacks. Call it what you will almost everyone has a weakness for it.
Not only are they a cinch to make, and impressive to look at… but they’re absolutely delicious, and great for teatime – especially with a cup of South African Rooibos.
- 2 Eggs
- 4 Tsps Sugar
- 1 Tbles Butter, Melted
- 250ml Cake Flour
- 2 Tsps Baking Powder
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- 125ml Milk
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Beat the eggs, gradually adding the sugar and the melted butter.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt, and add to the egg mixture.
- Gradually mix in the milk to form a smooth thick batter.
- Drop spoonfuls of batter onto a heated greased non-stick pan.
- Turn once the top is full of air bubbles, turn and cook on the other side until golden brown.
- Serve hot with honey and fresh berries.