Bake these simple but impressive Festive Choc Dipped Spice Cookies for the holidays.If you’re really feeling the holiday spirit add this yummy Festive Cookie recipe to your Christmas baking list and hand them out as gifts for family and friends.
No rolling pin or cookie cutters are required for these delicious crispy, chewy chocolate-dipped cookies with a sparkly sugar crust and just the right balance of spices.
Flavoured with molasses, ginger and warming spices, these cookies are crisp on the outside with a soft and chewy texture on the inside and best of all, they taste as wonderful as they look.
Decorate them with an easy white chocolate glaze as a wonderful alternative to royal icing and some colourful festive sprinkles for a fun appeal.
Full recipe can be found in the recipe card below.
Flour: Plain flour is all you need.
Light Brown Sugar: Brown sugar helps to give these cookies their chewiness.
Granulated White Sugar: For that crunch
Egg: Just one large egg.
Butter: Use unsalted butter, so you can control the salt level.
Bicarbonate of Soda: The bicarb gives these cookies a fluffy, soft centre.
Salt: Always add a touch of salt, even to sweet treats, as it will enhance the flavours.
Spices: I add a touch of ground cloves, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg to give these cookies that real spiced flavour.
Molasses: It gives these cookies such a delicious malty flavour.
White Chocolate: For coating the cookies
Shortening: This is added to the chocolate as it creates a smoother and more manageable consistency than melted chocolate alone. Doing this helps to make a more evenly coated cookie.
Festive Sprinkles: Lovely but completely optional.
- 2¼ Cups Cake Flour
- 1 Tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- ½ Tsp Baking Powder
- ½ Tsp Salt
- 2 Tsps Ground Ginger
- 1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ Tsp Ground Cloves
- ¼ Tsp Ground Nutmeg
- 180 Gr Butter Softened
- ½ Cup White Sugar + 3 Tbles (For Coating The Cookies)
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Large Egg
- ¼ Cup Molasses
- 2 Tsps Vanilla Extract
- 150 Gr White Milk Chocolate (I used Nestle Milky Bar)
- 1 Tbles Shortening
- Red And Green Festive Sprinkles
- In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, bicarbonate of soda, baking powder, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg for 20 seconds, and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter, ½ cup white sugar and brown sugar until well blended.
- Mix in egg, then blend in molasses and vanilla. With the mixer set on low speed, slowly add in dry ingredients and mix until combined. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour. Preheat oven to 180°C during the last 10 minutes of chilling.
- Scoop dough out about 1½ Tbsp at a time, shape it into balls then roll in the remaining 3 Tbsp of white sugar.
- Transfer to baking paper lined baking sheets, spacing cookies 5cm apart and the flatten tops slightly. Bake in preheated oven for 15-18 minutes.
- When the cookies are fully baked bash the pan on a hard surface to create those crinkles.
- Cool on the baking sheet then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the white chocolate with the shortening in the microwave on HIGH power in 10-second intervals, stirring between intervals, until melted, smooth and fairly runny.
- Dip half of each cookie in the melted white chocolate mixture then run the bottom of the cookie slightly along the edge of the bowl to remove excess, then return to the baking paper to set at room temperature. When the chocolate is almost set, decorate with sprinkles of your choice.