Whether you’re vegetarian or not, add some spice to your midweek meal by making this comforting easy veggie curry for dinner. It ‘s packed with flavour and served with rice or naan its perfect winter comfort food.
EASY VEGETABLE CURRY
Author: Fazila Olla-Logday
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: South African
- 2 Potatoes Cubed
- 2 Carrots Sliced into Roundels
- 250 Gr Cauliflower Cut into Small Florets
- 3 Tbsp Oil
- 1 Large Onion Finely Chopped
- 1 Tsp Whole Cumin
- 2 Garlic Cloves Finely Chopped
- A Few Fresh Curry Leaves
- 1 Tsp Curry Powder
- 1 Tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 Tsp Garam Masala
- ½ Tsp Chilli Powder
- ½ Tsp Tumeric
- 2 Large Tomatoes Grated
- Salt to Taste
- 1 Cup Water
- ½ Cup Frozen Peas
- ¼ Cup Roasted Salted Cashew Nuts (Optional)
- Coriander for Garnishing
- Half-fill a saucepan with cold water and add the potatoes and carrots. Bring to the boil and cook for about 8 minutes. Add the cauliflower florets and cook for 2 more minutes. Drain in a colander and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large, non-stick frying pan or wide-based saucepan. Add the onion, cumin seeds, curry leaves and chopped garlic and cook over medium heat until lightly golden.
- Sprinkle over the curry powder, coriander powder, garam masala, chilli powder and turmeric and stir-fry for a few seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and salt to the onions and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the water a little bit at a time and bring to a gentle simmer for about 5 minutes. Add the vegetables and simmer gently for about 10 minutes, stirring regularly. Lastly, add the frozen peas and simmer for about 5 mins.
- Garnish with roasted cashews if using and some freshly chopped coriander.
- Serve hot with rice or naans.