This easy Sweet Potato and Butter Bean Korma recipe is creamy mild and deliciously aromatic.
The sauce is made from a mixture of onion, fresh curry leaves coconut cream, and warmly spiced
highly anti-inflammatory spice turmeric, fragrant garam masala, ginger and garlic, and a little chilli flakes.
The spices turn this sauce into an Indian Vegan delight, by adding lightly spiced air-fried sweet potato cubes and creamy butter beans. Garnished with sprigs of coriander, this dish tastes even better the next day.
CREAMY SWEET POTATO & BUTTER BEAN KORMA
Author: Fazila Olla-Logday
Recipe type: Main
- Olive oil
- 3 Large Sweet Potatoes, Peeled and Chopped into Bite-Size Chunks
- Salt to Taste
- ½ Tsp Paprika
- Olive Oil
- 1 Onion, Chopped
- 5 Fresh Curry Leaves
- 2 Tsps Ginger and Garlic Paste
- 2 Red Chillies Sliced
- 2 Tbsp Garam Masala Powder
- ½ Tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 Tsp Chilli Flakes (Optional)
- 1 400ml Can Coconut Cream
- 2 X 400Gr Tin Butter Beans
- Salt to Taste
- 100 G Baby Spinach
- Coriander for Garnish
- Preheat the oven to 220 °C.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Toss the sweet potato with a little olive oil and season with salt and paprika.
- Pop it onto the tray and place it into the oven to roast for 30-40 minutes or until caramelised with charred edges. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
Air Fryer Method
- Preheat the air fryer to 200°C.
- Add the seasoned sweet potatoes to the air fryer and spread them in a single layer (cook in batches if needed).
- Air fry for 8-10 minutes or until just tender and slightly charred at the edges.
- Set a large pan or medium pot over medium-high heat. Add a splash of oil then fry the onions until they soften and start to colour.
- Add the garlic, ginger and red chillies and fry for a minute until fragrant. Add the garam masala, turmeric and chilli flakes if using and stir fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut cream and bring to a slow boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add the butter beans. Simmer for another 5 minutes, then taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Add the spinach and let it wilt.
- Remove the korma from the heat and add the sweet potato chunks, mix gently to combine.
- Serve bowls of bean korma topped with fresh coriander and a few slices of red chilli. Serve warmed rotis or rice on the side.