When the weather becomes cold and gloomy, a bowl of this rich homemade soup is perfect to warm you through on chilly winter days. This soup has a lovely velvety texture and can be whipped up in no time. Served with toasted garlic naans it makes a quick and easy complete meal. I used cannellini beans because they have a lovely nutty taste and creamy texture.
CREAMY LEEK AND BEAN SOUP
Author: Fazila Olla-Logday
Recipe type: Appetizer
Cuisine: South African
- 2 Tbles Butter
- 4 Leeks, Sliced Thinly
- 1 Cup Celery, Diced (About 2 Sticks)
- 3 Garlic Cloves Chopped
- 1 Tbles Curry Powder
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper to Taste
- 2 400gr Cannellini Beans or any other White Beans, Drained and Rinsed
- 4 Cups Vegetable Stock
- ½ Cup Greek Yoghurt (Optional)
- Chilli Flakes for Garnishing
- Garlic Naans to Serve
- Heat butter in a large pot. Add leeks, celery, chopped garlic and curry powder.
- Season with salt, then sweat until leeks and celery are softened, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add cannellini beans, and chicken stock and simmer gently until beans are very tender about 20 minutes.
- Once veggies are tender blend with a stick blender until smooth.
- If using the greek yoghurt, stir through just before serving and serve the soup sprinkled with chilli flakes
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve with hot with toasted garlic naans.