An easy supper idea that’s also good for you – that’s what this recipe is all about. Proudly SA Rooibos is a wonderful cooking liquid as it’s full of flavour and goodness.
When using this instead of a shop-bought sauce or marinade, you know that there are no artificial ingredients in the meal. Most importantly for those with diabetes, there is no added sugar included. The natural sweetness from Rooibos is perfect to use with other ingredients like lemon and herbs. Another reason why diabetics should enjoy Rooibos on a regular basis is that it assists with maintaining glucose levels, as it stimulates the secretion of insulin in the pancreas.
There are three basic nutrition components that affect your blood glucose levels on a daily basis are:
- The timing of your meals and snacks.
- The number of foods and drinks that you consume daily.
- The types of foods and drinks you consume daily.
CHICKEN AND ROOIBOS TRAY BAKE
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: South African
- 1 CupStrong Rooibos Tea
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- ¼ Cup Lemon Juice
- ¼ Cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 TbspFinely Grated Lemon Rind
- 2 Tsp Cumin Seeds or 1Tbsp Ground Cumin
- 3 Tbsp Fresh Thyme Leaves
- 8-10 Chicken Portions, Excess Fat Removed
- 2 Onions, Cut into Wedges
- 300 G Cauliflower, Cut into Florets
- 200 G Baby Tomatoes, Whole
- 6 Baby Marrows, Diagonally Sliced
- 2 Cloves Of Garlic, Thinly Sliced
- Salt and Pepper
- Extra Fresh Thyme Sprigs for Garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Rooibos marinade: Mix all the marinade ingredients together. Keep a third of the mixture aside to serve as a salad dressing.
- Chicken: Place the chicken and veggies in a large bowl. Pour the remaining marinade over the chicken and veggies and toss well to coat all the ingredients. Season to taste.
- Spoon the chicken and veggies, with the marinade, in a single layer into a large oven dish.
- Roast for 40-45 minutes or until the chicken is golden brown and cooked, but still juicy.
- Serve with extra fresh thyme sprigs and a simple green salad. Enjoy the salad with the remaining marinade as a healthy salad dressing.