A creamy light pouring custard with a kiss of cardomom!
It adds a decadent finishing touch when served as a sauce to accompany any hot pudding!
- 125ml full cream milk
- 125 ml cream
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 tbles sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp fine cardamom
- pinch of salt
- Combine the milk and cream in a saucepan and bring to a simmer over a low heat.
- In a bowl, whisk the sugar into the egg yolk until pale and thick.
- Pour the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture in a thin stream, whisking constantly.(you may need assistance while doing this)
- Pour the egg yolk mixture back into the pan and place over medium heat. Stir constantly but gently with a wooden spoon until the mixture begins to thicken. Do not boil!
- The crème anglaise is ready when it coats the back of the wooden spoon
- Pour the crème anglaise into a bowl and place it over a larger bowl half-filled with iced water to stop the cooking process.
- Once cooled, strain through a sieve.
- Serve right away or refrigerate until chilled.
- It can be stored in the refridgerator for several days.