When you’re in need of a delicious bowl of comfort food, this Butternut and Lentil Soup comes to the rescue! This vegan soup is the creamiest, most flavourful bowl you’ll ever have. It’s filled with nutritious veggies and good proteins–thanks to lentils–making it an excellent plant-based dinner for just about any night of the week.
Top the soup with some toasted nuts or seeds and freshly chopped coriander for extra flavour and texture, then devour this deliciousness in a bowl of nutrient-packed goodness. Enjoy!
Ingredients Needed for Soup
Veggies – Butternut peeled and cubed and onion chopped
Garlic – Fresh is best!
Spices – Cumin, Smoked Paprika, Ground Coriander and Turmeric.
Red Lentils – Dry. Red lentils is best for this recipe
Vegetable Stock – I used low sodium vegetable stock.
Salt & Pepper – To taste.
Coconut Milk – to make the soup extra creamy and delicious.
Nuts or Seeds – Toasted
Fresh Red Chilli Sliced
Fresh Coriander – Chopped
Can the Butternut and Lentil Soup be Frozen?
Absolutely! You can refrigerate the butternut and lentil soup in airtight containers for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months. Reheat the soup gently on the stovetop or the microwave, adding more water if necessary.
- 2 Tbles Coconut Oil
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves Finely Chopped
- 4 Cups Peeled and Cubed Butternut
- 1 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 2 Tsps Smoked Paprika
- 1Tsp Ground Coriander
- ½ Tsp Turmeric
- Salt and Fresh Ground Black Pepper to Taste
- 1 Cup Dried Red Lentils
- 4 -6 Cups Vegetable Stock
- ¾ Cup Coconut Milk
- 1 Tbles Olive Oil
- ½ Cup Pumpkin Seeds
- ¼ Cup Sunflower Seeds
- 1 Tsp Ground Cumin
- ½ Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tbles Soy Sauce
- Toasted Seeds
- Fresh Red Chilli Sliced
- Freshly Chopped Coriander
- Smoked Paprika
- In a large pot over medium heat add the coconut oil. Once the oil is hot add in the onion and sauté just until soft, about 3 minutes. Add in the garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds. Add in the butternut squash, cumin, smoked paprika, coriander, turmeric, salt and black pepper. Stir everything together and sauté for another minute.
- Pour in the red lentils and vegetable stock and stir together. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for about 25 minutes until the squash and lentils are soft.
- Using a stick blender purée the soup until smooth.
- Once the soup is puréed add the coconut milk to the soup and heat through.
- Serve the soup topped with chopped roasted almonds or toasted seeds, chopped coriander and an extra sprinkle of smoked paprika.
- In a pan over moderately high heat, heat oil. Add seeds and cook, stirring constantly, until seeds begin to pop, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in cumin, cayenne pepper and soy sauce and continue to cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes until lightly toasted.