Buttermilk rusks are always a winner, especially when dunked in tea or coffee!
While South Africans around the world yearn for and enjoy the well known Ouma Rusks, there’s something a bit special about homemade rusks. For those not in the know, rusks are kind of like biscotti, and a much loved South African treat. Thanks to Charmain Robbins for sharing this easy recipe!
Recipe Type: Bakery
- 10 cups sifted flour
- 1 tbles baking soda
- 1 tbles baking powder
- 1 tbles cream of tartar
- 2-2½ cups sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lb butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, cream of tartar, sugar, salt.
- Add butter and mix until dough has a smooth consistency.
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs and buttermilk together.
- Add to eggs and buttermilk mixture to dough and combine.
- Evenly spread dough into and edged cookie sheet.
- Bake in oven at 400F for about 20 minutes or until done.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Cut baked dough into rusks.
- Place individual rusks on cookie sheets, being sure they do not touch each other.
- Place rusks back into oven at 200F.
- Remove when dry.