These melt-in-your-mouth Braised Short Ribs are hearty, super comforting and incredibly delicious, slowly cooked in a beef broth and lots of fresh herbs. This braised beef short ribs recipe will become a family favourite and is sure to impress your dinner guests!
What Exactly Are Short Ribs?
Short ribs are a cut of beef taken from the brisket, chuck, plate or rib areas of beef. They are the equivalent of spare ribs in lamb. Short ribs can be cut in two ways. The first way is called English-style and is how we traditionally cut short ribs. The English-style way of cutting beef short ribs has small, 1 bone chunks of delicious chuck meat. (See illustration here)
How to make Beef Short Ribs
What Is The Difference Between Braising And Stewing?
Both braising and stewing require a long time, but do you ever wonder what the difference is? The key difference is in the amount of liquid you use.
Stewing would normally take place on the stovetop and requires the meat to be fully submerged in liquid and braising requires the meat to be partially submerged in the cooking liquid and then transferred to the oven.
Here’s what ingredients you’ll need for this delicious dish:
- Salt & pepper
- Beef short ribs
- Olive oil
- Beef Broth
- Any fresh herbs such as rosemary, thyme or parsley will do
- Sear the meat: Season short ribs with salt, pepper and worcestershire sauce, then brown them in a large ovenproof pot. Transfer the ribs to a plate and set them aside.
- Saute the vegetables: Then we add the onions, carrot, garlic and ginger to the pot and saute them for about 3 to 4 minutes, or until the onion has softened and the garlic is aromatic.
- Braising liquid – then add the beef broth/stock, thyme or whichever herbs you have available (optional).
- Deglaze the pot: Add in the broth, scraping up all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Taste for seasoning and adjust with salt and pepper as needed.
- Braise: Add the short ribs back to the pot, cover with a lid and transfer to the oven. Cook for approx 2 hours at 160 °C or until the ribs fork tender.
- 1 kg Beef Short Ribs, Cut Crosswise into 5cm Pieces
- Salt to Taste
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 3 Tbles Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 Tbles Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion Cut into Large Chunks
- 3 Carrots Cut into Large Chunks
- 4 Large Garlic Cloves, chopped
- 3cm Piece of Ginger Sliced
- 1 Cup Beef Stock
- Preheat oven to 160°C
- Season the short ribs with salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Sear the ribs in batches until browned on each side, about 5 minutes per side.
- Remove from the pot and set aside.
- In the same pot, over medium heat, add the onions, carrots, herbs, garlic and ginger. Add a little more salt and pepper and cook until translucent.
- Add beef stock and herbs and cook until it has almost completely evaporated about 5 mins.
- Stir, scraping the bottom of the pan, until all of the browned bits have mixed in with the liquid.
- Place the ribs in a greased oven tray and spoon the vegetables over the ribs. Cover with foil and
- Bake for approx 2 hours or until fork-tender.