These blueberry muffins with zingy lemon zest for extra flavour are quick to make with a moist and tender centre bursting with blueberries and perfectly golden brown tops.
What You Need To Make Blueberry Muffins
- 2 X 12 Cup Muffin Pans
- 18 Standard Paper Muffin Liners
- A Microplane Or Fine Grater
- 2 Mixing Bowls
- A Whisk
- A Rubber Spatula
- Measuring Spoons
- Measuring Cups
Ingredients to Make Blueberry Muffins
- Flour – I used cake flour
- Raising Agents– You’ll need both baking soda and baking powder to make sure we get a light and fluffy muffin
- Salt – Because it cuts into the sweetness and adds flavour
- Butter – For a great flavour
- Oil– For moistness
- Eggs – Use large eggs and you’ll want them at room temperature so they whip up to a much greater volume and give us a lighter texture. Eggs should be at room temperature. Easy way to do this: stand in warm tap water for 10 minutes.
- Sugar – Granulated or Castor Sugar is best.
- Liquid – I have used buttermilk but any type of milk, including non-dairy alternatives, will work.
- Flavouring – I used vanilla extract but vanilla paste is also good
- Lemon Zest – The lemon zest gives these muffins a bright, fresh zingy flavour.
- Blueberries – I used fresh berries but any blueberries will do! Fresh or frozen blueberries will work fine in the recipe. If they are frozen, do not defrost before mixing them into your batter!
Tips for Perfect Muffins
- Mix the dry ingredients just until they’re incorporated; don’t over-mix. This will make sure you don’t get dense muffins.
- Fold the berries in carefully to avoid popping them and creating streaks in the muffins.
- Make sure you fill the cups all the way to the top with muffin batter.
- Once the blueberry muffins are looking golden brown on the tops, you can start testing their doneness. Insert a toothpick into the thickest part of one of your muffins. If it comes out clean, your muffins are all done. 20 minutes should generally be enough, depending on your oven.
Author: Fazila Olla-Logday
Recipe type: Baking
Cuisine: South African
- 2½ Cups Cake Flour
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 Cup White Sugar
- ¼ Tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- 4 Tbsp Butter Melted
- 4 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Tbles Lemon Zest
- 2 Cups of Fresh or Frozen plus ½ Cup for the tops
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- Line 2 x 12 hole muffin tin with 18 paper liners
- Sift Dry Ingredients: flour, baking powder, bicarb of soda, sugar and salt in a bowl.
- Whisk Wet Ingredients: In a separate bowl, whisk buttermilk, melted butter, oil, eggs, vanilla and lemon zest.
- Make a well in the dry mixture, pour in the wet mixture. Mix until just combined - try not to stir too much.
- Stir through the 2 cups of blueberries - reserving the ½ cup for the topping.
- Divide batter between paper liners and top with remaining blueberries.
- Bake for 5 minutes, then turn oven down to 180°C and bake for a further 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the muffin comes out clean.
- Remove muffins from the muffin tin immediately onto a cooling rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.