Banana Fritters are made with cakey batter, fried to perfection and loaded with bananas, just a touch of spice, without overwhelming you. Once fried it is topped with lots of cinnamon sugar and banana slices.
These Banana Fritters are quick and easy to make and perfect for when you need to satisfy a sweet craving.
These South African made fritters can be eaten as a dessert or with your main meal as an enhancement.
This is a traditional South African Cape Malay fritter recipe and can be eaten as a dessert or as a delicious tea-time treat or dessert option that your friends and family will love. In Cape Town, Ramadan traditions include sharing treats with your neighbours to enjoy at iftar (the evening meal at sunset when Muslims end their fasting day) and banana and pumpkin fritters are a nostalgic sweet treat to share with neighbours, friends and family.
Ingredients In Banana Fritters
Bananas –Try to use super ripe bananas with a dark peel to get that proper flavour.
Sugar – Brown sugar and lots of cinnamon sugar to garnish.
Egg – A large egg at room temperature.
Milk – Any kind of milk is fine.
Butter– Softened and unsalted is good.
Flour – I used cake flour, but self-raising is also fine just omit the baking powder.
Raising Agents –if you’re using cake flour then all that is needed is baking powder.
Spices– Ground nutmeg, cinnamon and cardamom for a delicious flavour.
Salt – All sweet treats need a little help from salt! Just a pinch will do.
Vegetable Oil – We need something neutral in flavour and that can hold up to frying, like sunflower or canola oil.
Tips For Making The Best Banana Fritters
Temperature: Make sure to test the temperature of the oil before adding the fritters. Too hot and it will brown before cooking inside and too cold it will soak up too much oil.
Oil: Always use clean cooking oil, not previously used oil.
Do not overcrowd the pan: Do not fry too many fritters at once as this will render soggy and greasy fritters.
- 2 Bananas (Cut into Small Cubes)
- 2 Tbles Brown Sugar
- 1 Egg Beaten
- ½ Cup Milk
- 1 Tbles Melted Butter
- 1 Cup Cake Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking powder
- ⅛ Tsp Nutmeg
- ¼ Tsp Cinnamon
- Pinch of Cardamom
- Pinch of Salt
- Vegetable Oil for Shallow Frying
- In a medium-sized bowl add the cubed bananas, brown sugar, beaten egg, milk and melted butter and mix until well combined.
- Sift in the flour, baking powder, nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom and salt. Mix together with the banana mixture until well combined. Let the batter rest for about 5-10 minutes.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a pan over medium heat and place a spoonful of the mixture into the hot oil and fry until lightly brown. Do not crowd the pan. Flip the fritters and continue to brown. Remove fritters from the oil and drain them on paper towels.
- Dust the fritters with lots of cinnamon sugar and serve hot.