There is something about Banana Bread, spread with lashings of butter that is so comforting! ! This Traditional Banana Bread is perfectly sweet, moist, and so full of flavour.
What Ingredients Are in Banana Bread
You’ll want to make sure your bananas are as ripe as possible. The browner the better! That’s how you’ll get a soft and moist loaf.
I use both white and brown sugar to get a nice sweet caramelized flavour, both baking soda and powder to ensure a light, fluffy loaf, a touch of cinnamon, and of course buttermilk. This gives your loaf an undeniable richness and slices that are soft and moist.
Please make sure to only use butter, it does make a difference!
The nuts in this recipe are optional, so if you have a nut allergy please omit them.
Freeze the whole loaf or individual slices for up to 3 or 4 months.
Wrap the loaf or the individual slices extremely well with plastic wrap or foil to ensure freshness.
- 3 Ripe Bananas, (about 1 Cup)mashed with ¼ Cup Buttermilk
- ½ Cup Butter (120gr)
- ½ Cup White Sugar
- ½ Cup Brown Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- 2 Cups of Self Raising Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- ½ Tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- 1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- Pinch of Salt
- ½ Cup Pecans Chopped (optional)
- Toasted Coconut Flakes or 1 Banana Sliced Lengthwise (for garnishing)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Cream butter and sugars together, until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs (one by one).
- Fold the banana and buttermilk mix into the butter mixture.
- Sift all the dry ingredients and gradually fold it into the butter mixture.
- Add pecan nuts if using.
- Pour mixture into a greased 20cm x 10cm loaf pan.
- Garnish with toasted coconut flakes or banana slices.
- Bake at 180°C for about 45-50 minutes, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.