This dish takes a few of the simplest of ingredients and turns them into something healthy and satisfying… comfort food at its best. It makes a perfect main course or served as a side dish to meat, fish or chicken.
AUBERGINE AND POTATO BAKE
Author: Fazila Olla-Logday
Recipe type: Main
Cuisine: South African
- 4 Large Potatoes Sliced into Roundels
- 2 Large Long Aubergines Sliced into Roundels
- Salt to Taste
- 1 Tsp Chilli Powder
- 1 Heaped Tsp Curry Powder
- ½ Cup Oil Divided
- 2 Garlic Cloves Sliced
- A Few Fresh Curry Leaves
- 1 Large Onion Thickly Sliced
- 1 Cup Mixed Coloured Peppers Julienned
- 1 Tsp Mango Powder or 1 Tbles Lemon Juice
- Season to Taste
- 1 Cup Baby Rosa Tomatoes Halved
- ¼ Cup Coriander to Garnish
- Preheat oven to 180°C
- Spice the potatoes and aubergines with the salt, chilli powder, curry powder and half of the oil.
- This can now either be baked separately in the oven, fried in a pan or air fried.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large saucepan and add the garlic, curry leaves, onion and julienned peppers and the mango powder or lemon juice if using.
- Season to taste
- Sauté for a few minutes until translucent, but still crisp. Stir through the baby tomatoes and the coriander
- Spray a large ovenproof dish with cooking spray and layer the potatoes, then the aubergines and finally the onion mix.
- Bake for approximately 15-20 mins.
- Garnish with more coriander and serve with chicken or fish.