A delicious diabetic-friendly recipe that includes Rooibos tea!
- 500 g sweet apples with the skin, cut into wedges
- 100 ml strong Rooibos tea
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup (250 ml) buttermilk
- 100 ml low-fat milk
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) finely grated lemon rind
- ¼ cup (60 ml) ground almonds
- 100 ml cake flour
- ½ tsp (2,5 ml) baking powder
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar (optional)
- ½ tbsp (7,5 ml) ground mixed spice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) icing sugar (optional) mixed with a pinch of ground mixed spice
- 175 ml plain low-fat yoghurt
- Preheat oven to 200 ˚C. Place apples, tea and cinnamon stick in a saucepan. Simmer for 7-10 minutes or until just tender. Spoon apples and tea into a lightly greased oven dish.
- Beat buttermilk, milk, vanilla, eggs and lemon rind together. Stir in almonds, flour, baking powder, sugar (optional) and mixed spice to form a runny batter. Pour over the apples.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown and cooked.
Note that the carb key is close to 30-40 g per portion