Here’s a heart-healthy chocolate custard pudding that we’re totally smitten with.This velvety pudding has lots of flavour and contains very little sugar.
This recipe forms part of Pharma Dynamics ongoing healthy eating initiative, called Cooking from the Heart.
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) cornflour
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp (1,2 ml) ground cinnamon
- 2 cups (500 ml) low-fat milk
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla essence
- ¼ cup (60 ml) chopped raw almonds
- Fresh seasonal fruit to serve
- Mix sugar, cornflour, cocoa and cinnamon with a little milk to form a paste.
- Gently heat remaining milk in a small saucepan. Add some warm milk to the paste and stir back into the rest of the milk.
- Stir continuously over a medium heat until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Divide hot mixture into 4 small jars (small bowls or cups also work well). Allow to cool and chill in the fridge.
- Seal jars and pack in a picnic basket to enjoy as a healthier dessert. Sprinkle with chopped nuts and serve with fresh fruit skewered as little kebabs (see notes).